NewEnglandTrailConditions.com
NewEnglandTrailConditions.com:
MA
|
ME
|
NH
|
RI/CT
|
VT
|
Ski
Hiking Trail Conditions Report
Peaks
Peaks Mt. Field, Mt. Willey, Mt. Tom, NH
Trails
Trails: Avalon Trail, Willey Range Trail, A-Z Trail, Mt. Tom Spur
Date of Hike
Date of Hike: Wednesday, January 12, 2022
Parking/Access Road Notes
Parking/Access Road Notes: Parked at the Depot. Not plowed, but pretty well packed. A little messier at the road edge but was fine with today's cold temps. As it gets above freezing tomorrow, 1/13, the entry/exit will get mushy. 
Surface Conditions
Surface Conditions: Snow - Trace/Minimal Depth, Snow - Packed Powder/Loose Granular, Snow - Unpacked Powder, Snow/Ice - Frozen Granular, Snow - Drifts 
Recommended Equipment
Recommended Equipment: Snowshoes, Light Traction 
Water Crossing Notes
Water Crossing Notes: The crossings at 1/4 and 3/4 miles are solidly bridged. As were the two coming down A-Z from Tom Spur. 
Trail Maintenance Notes
Trail Maintenance Notes: There were some slanted walk-under blowdowns, sorry, I didn't note the mile markers. Not problematic currently. 
Dog-Related Notes
Dog-Related Notes: Didn't see any. Too cold, left mine at home. 
Bugs
Bugs: None 
Lost and Found
Lost and Found: There was a single gray and black glove at the kiosk. 
 
Comments
Comments: There was a trace amount of soft snow over packed snow at the trailhead getting a bit deeper as you ascend, maybe 2-5" at and along most of WRT. There was some soft calf high drifting before the Avalon Spur and intermittently from there to WRT. The steep ice flows going up Avalon before the spur were snow covered. WRT between Field and Willey was probably 70% of 2-5" of soft snow over packed snow or ice. The other 30% was snow drifts anywhere from knee high to thigh high (5'1" gal here). There was smaller intermittent drifting between Field and A-Z junction. Tom Spur was a trace up to 2" of soft snow over packed snow/ice. While doable in spikes, the ridge can definitely use some snowshoe love to set a consistent track/trench through the drifting - and if there is any more snow fall after today, snowshoes will be the way to go.  
Name
Name: thegingerhiker 
E-Mail
E-Mail:  
Date Submitted
Date Submitted: 2022-01-12 
Link
Link: http:// 
Bookmark and Share Disclaimer: Reports are not verified - conditions may vary. Use at own risk. Always be prepared when hiking. Observe all signs. Trail conditions reports are not substitutes for weather reports or common sense.

Copyright 2009-2019, All Rights Reserved